Hello blog, I haven’t seen you in over a month… My sincere apologies.
The truth is that I’ve been very, very stressed. So stressed, that I haven’t touched my personal stash of beer and chocolate blueberries between the time that Ashley and Jennifer and Regina were around and, quite literally, this night. For if I had touched either – but especially the beer – before tonight, I would have been violating that great instruction of Chesterton’s:
Drink because you are happy, but never because you are miserable. Never drink when you are wretched without it, or you will be like the grey-faced gin-drinker in the slum; but drink when you would be happy without it, and you will be like the laughing peasant of Italy. Never drink because you need it, for this is rational drinking, and the way to death and hell. But drink because you do not need it, for this is irrational drinking, and the ancient health of the world.
I am happy tonight because in spite of working six days this week, it is the first week in over a month that I was able to put in a timeslip for less than sixty hours, and I got out well before dark on all six days. I am happy tonight because this week, I got out early enough on a few nights to be able to spend an hour on the phone with the family, half an hour on the phone with Marty, and two hours on the phone with Jason. I am happy tonight because
- my new not-black veil came in the mail;
- I’ve actually gone through all four volumes of the Liturgy of the Hours and bookmarked all the readings in Marty’s SSP formation program syllabus;
- I just completed a Mission Impossible marathon;
- Alise and I discovered that except for one thirty-second entirely-not-necessary scene, Captain America and Black Widow do date each other in the real world in a movie entitled The Nanny Diaries;
- I did three loads of laundry today;
- I actually put six letters in the mail over the course of this past week;
- Alise and I have ironed out the traveling details of our roadtrip to Cleveland for the opening of the Hofbrauhaus;
- Scott was at the Festival on the Bay running a mini-Blissfest Burrito booth and I calmly and collectedly ran a ‘we-broke-two’ day in the cafe in his absence and doubled sales from last year on both days that he was gone;
- I have successfully mastered operating a sewing machine that says in its manual that it’s from 1935 (and that’s the revised manual);
- I have caught up on posting pics from the past eleven days;
- Scott and I have figured out that facebook messaging is an effective way for him to get in touch with me in any situation, versus texting;
- I actually made it to Mass four times last week;
- I made it to Ben’s going-back-to-the-Josephinum party;
- I’m more than halfway done with this season;
- my room is clean;
- I left my hair down today and noticed that it’s actually getting longer;
- I had enough in savings to put another $500 towards my grad school fund and also treat myself to some new kitchen toys;
… and a million other things that I’ve probably forgotten to properly thank God for, but all which merit two Yuengling Black & Tans and a handful of chocolate blueberries, consumed purely out of joy.
I’ve been told that the schedule gets lighter – somewhat – from here on out, so hopefully I’ll have time for longer blog posts.
For all the hungry, homeless, and persecuted Christians, let us pray to the Lord.