Michigan ~ Day 47

IT WAS SO COLD TODAY!!!! Gloomy, grilled-cheese-and-tomato-soup, crawl-under-the-covers-with-a-good-book day.

There’s not a whole lot to tell, but the last couple in the tasting room stayed a good hour, and I highly enjoyed their company. They were young and as yet without children, but we commiserated over the diseases of instant gratification and prolonged adolescence, discussed at length how Walmart is hurting America, how they’re seriously considering homeschooling, big families (they came respectively from families of 9 and 7), independent businesses, the importance of doing what you love and not being overly focused on the money… Wonderful couple, I really do wish them the absolute best, and I hope to see them again; they’re planning to be around for a barn dance or dinner or something. They love Pond Hill, that’s for sure.

I did make it to Mass this morning, though I won’t lie; it took a good half hour to persuade myself to get out of bed because Father Joe would wonder why I wasn’t there =) Accountability saves souls, yo. The homily today was on living martyrdom, with Sts. James and John compared for our benefit.

Poor Chris, he came in to work the tasting room for a bit and was telling me how sore he was this morning. Silly Chris, though. He had wanted to switch and not do dishes anymore, but I hadn’t even run a second rack through the dishtank and he was back saying he was bewildered by the mess in the tasting room and wanted to do dishes again. I attempted to give directions and he almost followed them, but he did cave. “I’m so tired, Ais…” “Well, so’m I.” “Yeah, but I’ve been working since 9am.” “Well, what do you think I’ve been doing?” “Working since… like, 11…” “No, I’ve been here since 9, same as you.” “Oh. Well, you’re just better than me, Ais.” “Oh, for crying out loud.” I was getting to the point where I didn’t want to be talking, but I was tolerably nice, I think; I let him do dishes and went to tidy up the tasting room. He seemed somewhat re-energized, enough to start beatboxing and dancing around near the very end of the night. Crazy person. The point is, he was incredibly sore this morning – so he said. I suppose I believe him… I do have a couple of blisters on the toes on my right foot, and they were peeling from the sweat and friction. Not cool and somewhat painful while attempting to get to sleep last night. But hey, it’s all part of the job, and I should be used to it by now…

And I should also be used to heat from leaning-toward-more-authentic curries. I was pleasantly surprised at Thai Orchid today; I was craving curry and wayyy too tired to make my own after work today, so I ordered some green curry expecting Americanized soupy stuff, and was very happy with the actual heat level, though it was incredibly weak color-wise. And of course the only more authentic veggie ingredient was the bamboo shoots. Still. Not anywhere near as hot as my green curry, which can be tear-inducing if eaten very hot, but this was almost sniffle-inducing. How’s that? Good enough for me, good enough for tonight. One of these days off, though, I’m definitely going to make a huge batch of green curry, though I have absolutely no idea where I would get thai basil and galangal, if I can get either at all… I would imagine that I’d have less trouble finding serranos, but what do I know? Haha.

I was just on the phone with Mommy, and I had gotten to talk to Mama and Papa and Ninong earlier. Happy =) But now it is time to give in to sleep!!! Mass, cafe, and a little road trip tomorrow, but more on that in the next post…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s