Here we are in Food Chem II, we’ve gotten our first quiz out of the way, now we’re just sitting here chit-chatting about our Culinology club meeting last night and our blog posts for this week… aaaaaandddd Kayla’s sitting here next to me and we’ve been reading…
When the anti-energy drinks first came up in the conversation, Seth/Tim asked, “Isn’t that… a beer?” Apparently that would still be safer when not abused. When our discussion began, there was a general acknowledgement of the appeal of such a drink to those who work long hours on their feet in a kitchen and get off work late and desperately need sleep so that they can do it all over again the next day. Why is it such a hugely accepted part of the culture of our particular field that a long day of work resolves itself at a bar? Adrenaline is not kind to those who work the line.
Some things that caught our eye(s) when reading the linked article above:
- Critics question the safety of such anti-energy drinks, which are sold in locations including college campuses and convenience stores.
- … called the marketing of commercialized anti-energy drinks “one of the worst things I’ve ever seen with corporate immorality,” accusing the companies of profiting off a higher-end version of a street drug.
- Some anti-energy drinks carry warning labels of possible drowsiness and discourage driving after use.
- Unwind and other drinks contain melatonin, a neurohormone used to treat sleep-related disorders that can be purchased as a supplement.
- Melatonin is not approved as a food additive because it is not “generally recognized as safe” by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. So a company that uses the ingredient can be subject to a challenge by the FDA.
- The latest relaxation drink to capture headlines is Canna Cola, a marijuana-infused soft drink.
Check this out – DRANK. Kayla’s comment was, “That does not look good for you at all.”
And now we’ve been released for a break and some of us are off to get some caffeine into our systems before we have at it again =) Oh, I love my culinology classmates.